Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Autumn Leaves


I have been a little busy of late but managed to get a few shots of beautiful Autumn Leaves.  Reminds me of the song my daughter used to sing.

Two weeks ago I drove a party of elderly people from a nursing home to Slimbridge, a bird sanctuary founded by Sir Peter Scott in 1946.  He was the son of Captain Robert Falcon Scott who died of frostbite at the South Pole in 1912, beaten there by Amundsen who survived with his party.   

It was a delightful day at Slimbridge and all the residents and staff enjoyed their day out.  Sir Peter Scott's statue stands amongst them in this photo.



The Flamingos seem happy as always:



. . . .  . and a couple of shots with beautiful Autumn Leaves took my fancy:





When I returned back to the Residential Care Home, where my wife worked for 12 years, and owned by my very good friend Pat, she informed me that our priest was visiting the cemetery the next Monday with some parishioners to bless the graves and would I like Maria's blessed.  I attended and brought Peter with me since I was looking after him that day . . . so we blessed Maria's grave and I sprinkled some Holy Water. Bless you my darling.



Isn't it beautiful ~ nothing but the best for her.
There's a little room for a few words for me later . . . :) . .  . and at the foot shall read Reunited For Ever.

While we were there I asked the priest if he would bless my Great Grandfather's grave who died in 1905.  I found out and was shocked that he had committed suicide by hanging himself whilst at work.  He moved to the south west 60 years before we did from Liverpool and I found him whilst researching my family tree.  I found him on the 1901 census and was amazed to discover he lived in my home town. I found his house, his workplace where he was factory manager, and his grave and to my horror discovered through death certificates ordered that he AND his father had both taken their own lives, his father, John a few months before James was born.

I made a little wooden cross for him a few years ago and had an inscription plaque made.  In those days it was frowned on by the church for people to take their own lives and they were buried at the edge of the cemeteries in unmarked graves.  I had a few services said for them both and the priest gladly blessed his grave and said a powerful prayer for them both and this was all against a delightful carpet of autumn leaves beneath our feet and I sprinkled Holy Water on his grave.  Young Peter was there, James' Great Great Great Grandson.



For those interested this story about my Great Grandfather I wrote a post and it is a fascinating read ~ my second post I wrote.  It is eerie in places and full of incredible coincidences and I feel in some way I was meant to discover James and unearth the story and in some way set him free and I feel both he and his father are now fully at peace.  It is very strange also that Maria's and later my grave will be only 40 yards from James.  I might get a headstone made for him soon.  The full story is HERE 

It was Remembrance Sunday last Sunday and I remember those brave young men in all the wars who fought and lost their lives striving to make this a better place for us to live.  Thank you guys.




31 comments:

  1. Dearest Eddie,

    Your photos are beautiful and I love the birds and colours! Yes, this is such a lovely grave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda ~ popping over to see you and looking forward to a funny video or three . . . :)

      Delete
  2. Bless you my dear Eddie! Such fun to see you always







    ALOHA, Friend
    ComfortSpiral

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_('')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cloudia . . . . and love your little cat.
      . . . . you are so kind and thoughtful . . . . :) x

      Delete
  3. Eddie, Maria does have a very lovely grave. Bless your own heart for also having your Great Grandfather's grave blessed, and Peter in attendance....just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle and yes, I seem to have grown to love my great grandfather ~ surprisingly since he died at just 57 in a way I regard him as a son although he was born a hundred years before me ~ does that make sense? . . . . :)

      Delete
  4. Your photos are lovely, Eddie.
    The monument for your Maria is beautiful.
    I loved being here at your blog tonight. It feels peaceful to be here....
    Sending you hugs, my friend....
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie ~ yes Maria deserves the very best and I know a lot of folk she helped when they were on earth are loving having her near them . . .
      That is a lovely thing to say about feeling peaceful on my blog ~ I am honoured you think that . . . :)
      Hugs right back . . .

      Delete
  5. Hi Eddie - your post is so right for today ... and then taking Peter along - he may not remember much, but he'll remember being with you. Your gravestone for Maria is wonderful to see ... just so sad she went so early ....

    Your great grandfather and his father ... such sad stories - desperation must have crept in ... I'll go across to read. Suicide is so difficult to understand and so troublesome to contemplate ...

    All the very best thoughts to you today "Remember them" ... all who have lived and died ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary and it was indeed a nice touch taking Peter even though he did not understand anything about it . . .
      Poor great grandfather James was suffering from depression . . . such a shame . . . :)
      Thanks for going on to read the full story . . . very pleased to share it with you . . :)
      Yes . . . . I also remember all those who fell in the great wars, and the lesser ones . . .

      Delete
  6. Great shots indeed. Sure Peter will recall that day with you. Suicide is around so much it seems, guess it always has been we just hear about it more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat ~ fortunately suicide is viewed slightly differently these days . . .
      It must be a very sad life with all the pressures and disappointments to make someone take their own life . . even though we all know it is wrong to do so . . .

      Delete
  7. Your Maria's headstone is absolutely beautiful, Eddie. Good job. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim . . . I was expecting a little tap on the shoulder and a voice saying, "What took you so long getting it?" . . . lol

      Delete
  8. Hi Eddie....
    Lovely shots of the Fall foliage...
    Interesting story about your Great Grandfather....
    I am sure there are plenty of skeletons in my family history!
    You must miss Maria so much....
    Enjoy the rest of your day....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda . . . . yes I miss her very much but have come to terms with things and feel a l,ot happier now . . .
      I took some nice Autumnal photos today which I hope to post soon . . :)

      Delete
  9. Eddie. I just wrote you a long message but I think it disappeared. I'll check back to see if you get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sham. It is very annoying when a message disappears and we have to type it all again. I save mine now before I send just in case and then crtl and v it back into the box for another try. :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely autumn photos and I do love bird sanctuaries. I bet the others enjoyed being out, too.
    I remember reading about James when I started at the beginning of your blog. A tragic event and obviously depression ran in the family. I am so glad the priest blessed the graves. To me it is only right and just to do so.
    Maria has a beautiful site and it must bring you some comfort to visit her.
    I posted on FB about my Remembrance Day this year. So grateful for those who fought for us.
    Sending you a warm hug. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie . . . warm hugs back . . xox

      Delete
  11. Autumn leaves do look lovely..... but I say "Roll on Spring!"
    Quite an eclectic content on your post this time...... Love the flamingos. Its done nothing but rain for a while now..... they must be wet. I suppose they don't mind that.
    Thankfully it was fine when you took out the old folk!
    We must get together soon!

    Luv Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie . . . . yes I covered quite a few subjects . . .
      Yes, guess they are wet but they always stand in water . . lol
      It was a nice day when we visited . . .

      We'll fix a date to meet up again . . .

      Love Eddie . . x

      Delete
  12. Autumn leaves? Where is is going, Eddie? lol... I just couldn't resist.

    Bless her, Eddie. You're such a good guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes . . . bless her cotton socks . . . . well I try . . .:)

      Delete
  13. That is indeed a lovely memorial for your wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SAM . . . . hope she likes it . . . :)

      Delete
  14. That is a lovely memorial stone to Maria. It says it all in just a few words. I followed the link to your Great Grandfather and found it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith and glad you found the story interesting . . :)

      Delete
  15. The flamingoes are rather anemic.... shouldn't they be pinker? They need to eat more carrots!!
    I read the post about your great grandfather and I am convinced that you saw him! I know it's improbable and really doesn't make sense, but how else do you explain what you experienced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sham . . . lol . . . I guess they are all feeling a little off colour . . .
      Yes, I think you are right about great grandfather . . .

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.