Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Thursday, 21 January 2016

HANDYMAN PETER


I continue to look after Peter on Thursday and Friday and constantly strive for new things to gain his interest.

He was 2 in October. My, doesn't time fly?

As far as keeping him amused and providing an interest for the day, I have found that nothing is more effective than practical things, like making paper aeroplanes which fly and using tools and screwing two pieces of wood together.

I made this little woodwork project for him when he was here last week ~ he was fascinated watching me drilling and making pilot holes, and here is his new 'toy'. 

I am intending making a garden playhouse for the grandchildren in the summer and this simple joint is part of the design and will be used to screw the four sides together.


I gave him the correct screwdrivers, spanners and screws and boy was he as happy as a sand boy screwing and unscrewing ~ he already knew the correct way to tighten (clockwise) and to loosen (anti-clockwise) and for one so young he 'cottoned' on to it very quickly.  He knew from opening and closing his milk bottle lid when we always get his milk ready in his beaker each morning. He cottons on to things so fast and realises that threads work the same way universally. 

    
He stands on some steps and works over the kitchen sink. This seems his favourite spot and spends hours screwing and unscrewing . . lol and doing other projects and watching me draw pictures sometimes.  

Today I even introduced him to a ratchet screwdriver and he has almost mastered that as well. 

"Hey Grandpa! ~ these tools and wood are much better that any of my toys!"


"Hey Buster! . . . well done . . but what about the small screws?"


"Ok Grandpa . . . I'm just about to start them but first I want to make sure the little screwdriver does not fit the large screws!"


"Well done Mr Cool! or should I say Mr Hunky Enough! Where did you get those shades?"


Peter is coming again tomorrow. I shall have to dream up another project.  

I am so looking forward to the warmer weather when he can help me build some bird boxes and tables in the warmth and in the garden .  I am sure I can delegate some tasks to him by then.

24 comments:

  1. Something tells me that this project will keep his interest for several visits! How cute!

    Can't get over those curls, though! And he has your nose! haha...What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy . . . yes I think it will and I can always make some more holes for different screws and perhaps use rawlplugs in there somewhere as well.

      He has my nose . . . lol
      Cutie? . . . me or him? . . . hahaha

      Delete
  2. What a clever young lad he is!
    And I admire your choice of things to entertain and enlighten him at the same time. Clever GrandDad!!
    Eddie, he is so handsome, and I can feel the absolute love and adoration through this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie and you say such kins and warm things . . :)

      Delete
  3. Your words and actions are so loving. Hw is a very fortunate little one to have a Grandpa that is in his life so regularly and that is caring enough to think of fun things to do. It's funny, because when I started to read this post here and on FB, my first thought was, "I wonder if Eddie will make birdhouses with him?" and sure enough that's in the cards. Yay, Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie and great ESP about the bird house building . . :)

      Delete
    2. Just popping in again to see your able assistant... and you too, of course! Love looking at these pics. xo

      Delete
    3. Hi Suzie, Always great to see you. My able assistant is here today and we have added some wood and bolts to bolt pieces of the contraption I made together . . . . he loves it.
      Hope to have some more pics of him soon . . . xo

      Delete
  4. you're raising a man! good for you.
    p.s. he's the cutest little man too *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V . . . . . you forgot to say that makes two of us . . . . rofl . :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Eddie - that's wonderful to see - way better than bought items ... and I bet he'll love repeating this exercise and practising other things - it's so great when he learns so quickly .. and the summer house - will be fantastic. Lovely to see = cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary and I am so pleased to share this with you . . :)

      Delete
  6. Watch what he takes apart! I'd keep a good eye on him! Remember when you took some vital piece of equipment to pieces and our dad was furious!
    He's so cute though, I'm sure if he dismantled your fridge, you wouldn't mind!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was too young to remember when Dad was furious about me taking his electrical things apart when I was 3. I am told Mum hid me behind the settee until he cooled off . . . . lol . . They wondered why I was so quiet that day in the garage . . . . lol . . :)
      I have a much longer fuse . . . . Eddie x

      Delete
  7. The determination on Peter's face is priceless! Good for you and good for him to working on such a cool "project" together!
    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna ~ yes Peter does seem able to concentrate well for quite lengthy periods .
      I am looking forward to introducing him to some woodworking projects . . :) xo

      Delete
  8. What a lovely project for you both!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so lovely to see, and beautiful photos. Looks like you have a joiner in the making there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. True Blue
      I'll get to you
      To see what's new . . . :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.