Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Tuesday, 22 March 2016

TWO HELPING HANDS WITH A DIY REPAIR


"Grandpa, Grandpa . . . stair rail broken . . . me fix, now!"
And with that my dear little grandson, Peter, fetched his tools . . . 



. . . . proceeded up the stairs . . . .



. . . .  and laid them carefully in a row when he reached the top.



The problem was well known to me. For as long as I can remember the top fixing bracket of the stair rail had come away from the wall and the rail was flapping about.  I had tried several times to repair it with larger fixings . . . to no avail, and I had always meant to do something more drastic to fix it.  So I thought no better time than the present, and we could make it into an interesting little project.

We had been watching Bob The Builder on TV and, being a favourite of Peter's, I quoted Bob, saying, "Can we fix it?" . . . and together we laughed and said, "Yes we can!"

I said we needed some stronger tools so I got my drill and drill bits and I asked Peter if he would like to unscrew the top stair rail bracket from the rail and from the wall, and without hesitation he did ~ no problem. He already had a good appreciation of screws, screw drivers and which direction to turn for screwing in and screwing out, so it came quite naturally for his 2.5 years.



It looks as though he is left handed like his mum and dad, but I am not so sure.  Anyhow, it took him a while but he got all five screws out and then we took the fixing bracket away and kept it safe with the screws.  The wall was very soft and crumbling so I cut out all the loose stuff and removed a lot of very soft and quite useless cement.  I got a large drill bit ready and fitted it into my electric drill and Peter passed it to me:



Fortunately we did not need anything as big as this . . . lol



 Peter was watching, wide eyed and taking it all in.



I drilled it out deeply ready for filling with a special paste which sets rock hard like concrete after 24 hours.

There was quite mess so I asked Peter to fetch the vacuum cleaner which was in my bedroom, just across the landing.  He brought the attachments and then pulled the hoover, unwound it and plugged it in then switched it on and then used the nozzle to clean out the holes  ~ all by himself.  Then he hoovered the stairs clean.







"Good boy, good job!"  He looked as proud as punch to be helping.  Then he switched the hoover off, switched off at the wall, unplugged it and wound in the cord again. He did it all in the right order.

I got the paste ready and worked it into the holes and said I would have to fill it in two or three goes because it was so deep.  He understood and said, looking at it, "Grandpa, wet, wet, don't touch!" . . . and then we went downstairs.

Two days later, after more filling and allowing to set rock hard, he came to help me again and we attached the bracket to the rail and piloted three new holes into the wall.  Then I drilled three new screw holes, knocked in the plastic fixings, and screwed the bracket firmly into the wall.

It has never been more secure ~ well done Peter.

I asked him if he was Bob the builder and he said, "No, Grandpa ~ you Bob!"  . . . bless him. 


38 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, and beautiful photos, Eddie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda . . . will stop by to see some of your funny videos and see some quotes soon . . :)

      Delete
  2. Quite the little builder as he helps out
    Good thing you didn't need that huge one about haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is quite handy
      . . . and very dandy.
      That big kango was grreat and so much fun
      It broke up concrete when work I begun
      Fitting a new garden fence post
      It shook like 'ell ~ I felt like a ghost . . . lol

      Delete
  3. Bob the Builder has nothing on the two of you... and Peter's only two and a half!
    What a great project. He certainly knows all the steps, doesn't he? And he's a cleaning machine. I could use his skills here. Send him across the pond, please.
    Oh... and you can come, too!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie . . . lol
      He is a great little guy . . . :) x

      Delete
    2. Don't forget to add Rosa
      In your About Me
      Needs a few updates
      So we can read with glee!

      Delete
    3. Yes I really must update it
      Necessity does now dictate it
      Events pass by at such a rate
      And before yer know, time to update . . .

      Delete
  4. Adorable- both of you. You look strong and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cloudia ~ well I am most flattered . . . :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, that is so cute. :) He's left handed, I see! So is my Taylor.
    I love how he's good incentive for you to get some little chores done...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy . . . . yes he could be left handed but he used both hands so maybe he could be ambidextrous. His Mum and Dad are both left handed. Am I right that in the Bible Bejamine and all his descendants were left handed? Interesting that Taylor is l/handed and he is a really smart guy.
      Yes ~ Peter is an incentive for me ~ I need someone to give me a kick up the rear sometimes . . . lol

      Delete
    2. I was left handed, too, until my mother kept switching my spoon and crayon to my right hand. I still do many things with my left that she didn't switch. He's still young and maybe he's still deciding.

      Peter's hair seems to have grown between photos! lol....love those curls~

      Delete
    3. Gosh . . . shame that an attempt was made to disuade you from being left handed ~ it might have confused you. I have not noticed which hand Peter (and his Mum and Dad for that matter) hold their spoons, but will do so now.

      He had his hair trimmed and in fact the first bit of the story was after the trim ~ he took his tolls upstairs again to inspect the work . . . :) haha

      Dear Nana Betsy ~ you are very observant . . . . Love from Peter . . :) x

      Delete
    4. absolutely, Peter! I don't miss a trick! :)

      Delete
    5. So Grampa tells me . . . lol . . :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Eddie and Peter.....
    Miss V likes that show too...does Peter like Paw Patrol and Bubble Guppies?
    What a great team you 2 make....very heartwarming....indeed!
    Glad you got that railing fixed....tsk tsk on leaving it so long!
    Gonna bake some cookies with Miss V tomorrow....
    Have a wonderful Easter...both of you....and your families♥️
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nana Linda . . . gosh it is lovely having all these nanas.
      Please tell Miss V I love Paw Patrol but from memory I don't think I have seen Bubble Guppies . . Has she seen Ben and Hollies Little Kingdom and Peppa Pig? We always watch these when I come to visit Grampa on Thursdays and Fridays and sometimes Grampa wears his Grandpa Pig Best Grandpa in the World T shirt. I know Miss V's Grampa is that but tell her let's not fall out about it. I know long distance relationships are very difficult but if I ask her nicely do you think she will write to me? Love Peter x

      Thanks Linda ~ my word these grand kiddies are such fun and get us grown ups to have fun too.
      Enjoy your Easter too ~ the whole clan. . . :)

      Delete
    2. btw . . . Grampa, Mummy and Daddy all love Ben and Hollies Little Kingdom as well, especially when a naughty fish called Big Bad Barry keeps eating boats . . . lol. When they come to collect me Grampa makes them a cup of sea and we all sit down and watch it. They have been waiting all day to see it . . . hahaha!

      Delete
    3. We watch Peppa Pig....very cute with the British accents!
      Have not seen the other one...
      Happy Easter to you!

      Delete
    4. What about Bananas "in Pyjamas" . . . lol
      He doesn't like that one nearly as much . . :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Eddie - he's amazing ... what a story ... and with looks like that - he should be on tv - telling us all what to do!! But much more fun being with you ...

    Have a lovely Easter ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary ~ maybe we shall hire him out and earen a few bucks . . . lol. Cheers, Eddie . . :)

      Delete
    2. . . .and lovely Easter to you . . :)

      Delete
  8. My heart is happy as I read this blog. It is evident the love shared between you and your precious Grandson.
    He is a smart boy, and I am so glad that you are able to spend such quality time together.
    There is nothing in this world like the love of our Grandchildren.
    Have a blessed Easter, my friend.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie ~ yes, nothing in the world like the love of grandchildren.
      Blessed Easter to you too . . :)

      Delete
  9. Well, that boy is a credit to you! He's going to grow up very handy and interested in tools. Funny how it comes naturally to boys.... and girls too.... but boys especially. My grandies have graduated from Builder Bob now, but we used to watch it regularly.
    The left handed thing is interesting. Mum thought she was born a leftie but was switched in childhood, although she didn't remember it. She did many things lefthanded, but wrote with her right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sham ~ very interesting about left and right handed and how one becomes the norm for us . . . I noticed Peter was using a screwdriver today and he was using his right hand . . :)

      Delete
  10. Nothing like having willing and young helpers...makes one smile and smile!! What a good little helper...Great pics too Grandpa!!
    Thanks for the uplifting visit Eddie and thanks for stopping by my neighborhood too!
    Missed you.
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue Ann ~ lovely to see you . . :)
      Looking forward to the day when I can delegate the whole job . . lol . . :)

      Delete
  11. What a handy little helper! That is so cute, and I got a lesson in how to fix a wobbly handrail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen . . . he is coming again on Thursday and Friday so I will have to think of some more projects for him . . . lol

      Delete
  12. Lovely story and well illustrated!
    Peter is so cute!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie ~ he's been here a few times since the work was done but always goes upstairs to inspect the repair and we have fun with imaginary conversations with bob the Builder using his toy mobile phone. . . . . :) Eddie x

      Delete
  13. I love this story, Eddie. It sounds as though you and Peter have a great partnership!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim ~ it is a lot of fun . . . but quite tiring sometimes . . :)

      Delete
  14. Well, what do you know... Peter has come to the rescue! That's one fine fella, alright. And I'm impressed by the size of your drill :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blue, Yes, I expect he will always want some sort of on going project now to keep him amused . . . :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.