Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Monday, 7 November 2016

AMBULANCE STORY ~ DEAR DORIS

It has been quite some time since I posted. I have been very busy with various aspects of quite a crammed packed life and also I have taken a long blog break, always intending to return.

Whilst driving a bus for Dial-a-Ride today I was telling some passengers about some of my ambulance experiences and this dear little story came to mind when one of my passengers mentioned a Nursing Home south of Bristol. It was the same Nursing Home where one of my former patients lived. 



About 7 years ago I was scheduled to pick up a 99 year old lady called Doris from the Nursing Home and arrived to find a very friendly and quite active lady who greeted me with a huge smile. She asked me how old I thought she was and playing politics I said, "Oh, maybe early 80s!". A triumphant look dominated her face and she said, "I am 99 and I am going for my annual health check at the Royal United Hospital in Bath. Next time you come for me next year I shall be 100!"

I had to smile, bless her, and we walked to the ambulance and I helped her into it and we proceeded on our way, chatting and having quite a conversation.  

I was passing through my home town and I slowed down and pointed to a cottage alongside a hill we were climbing. I said, "Doris, see that cottage, my Great Grandfather lived there!".

She said, "Fancy that! Is he still alive?"

lol

I said, "Er, no Doris, if he was still alive he would be 169. He died in 1905."

She said, "Well I thought he might have lasted a bit longer than that!.

The dear lady, apart from that was as sharp as a razor.
I often think of former patients.  I have met some interesting personalities.

I hope to resume posting soon, including a large project I am making. I am building a tree bench and I am looking forward to telling you all about it.


23 comments:

  1. What a fun and sweet short story you've shared here Eddie! Now I wonder if Doris lived beyond 100 years =)
    I look forward to seeing your tree bench project in progress and completed - I do love to see a DIY unfold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica. Sadly, I never knew if she made 100 but I can tell you I knew a 104 year old lady from my Dial-a-Ride bus days and I shall be writing about her soon . . . :)

      Delete
  2. No doubt you have met a wonderful group of people throughout the years. Nice to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle . . . yes a great lot of people and glad I could help them a little . . .:)

      Delete
  3. What a cutie lady! I hope I'm sharp and witty when I'm 99, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was a cutie pie and I bet you will still be one even when you are 99 . . :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Eddie...
    Welcome back....
    I do NOT want to be 99.....seriously! Hahaha!
    Hope your cough is behind you...
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I doubt if I shall make 99 . . . . lol
      yet I might because my cough has gone . . . . mercifully!!!!
      Have a good week too . . :)

      Delete
    2. How are those darling grandchildren???

      Delete
    3. They are lovely and Sue and I had toddler Rosa today . . . . I'll post about them soon. . . . :)

      Delete
  5. I recently read that one way to stay young is to feel younger than you actually are. I guess that idea I had about counting down really might have been working after all.
    Love old people who live like they're young!
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan, Martha . . . . I am 21 . . . lol
      Yes old people are fascinating . . :)

      Delete
  6. Hallo Eddie, nice to see you, happy to hear you're happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi V . . . . sorry I have deserted you . . . will start reading your poems again soon.
      Yes, I am stating to be happy again . . :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Eddie - delightful story about Doris - the elderly they can really amuse. I bet Peter has been helping loads and he'll have grown considerably ... wonderful to see your project .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary ~ yes Doris was quite a character.
      Peter is doing well and i have him for one and a half days a week. He is potty trained, not bad for a little boy just turned 3. An little Rosa is 15 months and walking well . . . . speak soon . . :)

      Delete
  8. Hopefully I can still move at 99
    If I make it that far down the line
    Sounds like she was quite fun
    As you drove her to get her check up done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 99 is an age with the bar set high
      I'm not sure I could make it even if I try.
      But of course yer never know
      And I'd never let my sense of humour go . . :)

      Delete
  9. "Is he still alive?" Good one. That would've been something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doris' positive outlook is wonderful. I suspect she was aiming for a lot higher. Hopefully she got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, she was a tough old boot . . . bless her . . :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.