My daughter and son-in-law were given an old garden bench a few years ago and to be frank I did consider that it would be unlikely that we could ever restore it. It was almost forgotten until recently when I said it would be very useful to sit on and enjoy the summer months.
There were several repairs neccessary, including a new central support, which I measured and made at home using my new bandsaw which cuts curved shapes, making the repair possible. The whole support structure was very weak and I have 'beefed it up' considerably, whilst trying to make it look good.
This afternoon I took the 'mod' along and fitted it and it is now very strong. A couple more modifications are required which can be done easily.
Then we got to work with an orbital sander and elbow grease and I am really pleased, and somewhat surprised, that that teak woodwork is in very good condition, and the bench is looking a lot better.
Next time I go I shall take my blow torch and scraper to get some thick paint off at the back and then we shall apply a coat of wood preserver over the entire bench.
Very pleased with it and great to know I have made it strong enough for three people to sit on it.
Shame we did not take a 'before' photo.