Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017

TREE BENCH FINISHED AND LOVINGLY WRAPPED ROUND THE OLD CEDAR TREE

Today is Wednesday, our usual gardening day at The Rectory, but it is rather an unusual day.  A few months ago whilst supping our coffee on an old scaffolding plank, Sue suggested we have a tree seat around the lovely old cedar tree facing us.

And today we had our opening ceremony with me cutting the tape, making a little speech and naming it "The Pentagon". And here are Sue, Fran and your's truly christening it and drinking our coffee during our break. It is designed to be 'three bums wide' without being over friendly, yet it is very nice to be a thorn between two roses . . . lol. The girls and I are over the moon about the bench.



When Sue suggested the seat, almost immediately I thought long and hard about the project and started designing and building a pentagonal shaped tree bench. I thought if I am going to build one I might as well do it in style which meant it would take some time to complete and it would be complicated to build. Various problems arose and were solved and it igradually progressed in my back garden to an almost finished state, photo taken from a bedroom.



On Sunday Sue and I transported it by cars from my garden to site, and did quite a lot of the re-assembly there.  It fitted perfectly. Over the next few days I finished it . . . . and here it is in all it's glory.



Somewhere to sit for our coffee and a lovely view of the garden on a warm sunny day. We are getting a little plaque made and inscribed which will fit on the back.



On Monday 1st May will be the village open day when the whole village will be open to a large number of visitors.  I wonder if I will get any orders . . . lol

I've added the 'before' photo again for comparison. It shows the tree covered with ivy, our wheelbarrow storage area, an untidy garden and our old rickety, unstable scaffold seat.



28 comments:

  1. Eddie: it is really super, I'm sure you will spend many coffee breaks enjoying the shade of the old tree. well done, it's a fab design and if I had a big tree like that in my back yard I'd ask you to come and build me a seat just like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . aw!! thank you! But you would have to put up with me for quite a while, like 6 months . . . lol

      Delete
  2. It's very, very nice! You did a superb job on it! I love it!
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if you didn't get orders. Make sure you charge plenty!
    And look at you...I hardly recognized you, you skinny man! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy. Loved doing it. I've lost 18 lb. Need to lose another 60lb and them I'll be lovely and skinny. 😁

      Delete
  3. The bench is FAB! Great job, and you're looking good too, cher! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marguerite. There is just enough room for your lovely Derrière . . lol

      Delete
  4. Hi Eddie - congratulations ... that's wonderful - and I bet that beautiful bench will be often remarked upon - clever having the octagon shape ... and three bums wide! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. It was quite a challenge and I had to get all the angles right at 36 degrees. 😊

      Delete
  5. So if it seats four
    They'll go on an overly friendly tour?
    Hey, no third wheel
    Pair off for the friendly ordeal
    Whoops, had to lol
    Great job by you
    Bet orders will come
    Then you'll be helping all everywhere have a comfy spot for their bum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat,
      Was wondering where you were at.
      I miss the tree in my yard
      But had to work on it blooming hard. . . .lol

      Delete
  6. HI Eddie....
    Well...I must say...I am impressed! Looks fantastic! Kudos to the architect and carpenter!
    Have fun at the opening!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Makes me happy that you like it. I am working on a smaller version to surround a tree in my garden where I built a swing some years ago.

      Next project though is to design and build a play house for shared grand children. Have to finish it before they go to university . . .lol. 😊

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful project! I like how it wraps around the tree for a variety of views. Much better than having just a bench placed under a tree. And the picture of the three of you there sipping your coffee looks so nice and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I was delighted to receive your comment which I value. The problem now is that we might have protracted coffee breaks. 😊

      Delete
  8. Eddie, I just had to read this post to my husband as he likes to make projects as well, or at least did before we moved into an apartment and he gave up the tools and garage. He was delighted by your post and said, "I'd travel there just to see that bench, if we had any money."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a pleasure to meet you both and perhaps aI could read to your hubby my fish alliteration post. . and we could eat fish and chips seated on the bench. . . . lol.

      Delete
    2. Did I say alliteration? . . . I meant puns . . .😊

      Delete
  9. Eddie, your tree bench is fabulous! I love the way it turned out. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie, glad you like it. My pleasure to share. 😊

      Delete
  10. Beautiful job you did, Eddie.
    Just fabulous.
    The difference "before" and "after" is phenomenal.
    And, you have a wonderful place to sit and enjoy a cup of tea or a cup of coffee.
    Congratulations, my friend. You did a splendid job.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I did enjoy building it but it took quite a while to get it finished. 😊

      Delete
  11. Hi Eddie (blast form the past here, mimiindublin)
    Your bench is FAB!
    You're well entitled to your protracted coffee breaks, just don't forget to go back to work eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi, so good to hear from you and hope you are back in Blogland. On my way over.
      Going to garden today and looking forward to coffee break . . . :)

      Delete
  12. Most ezcellent! A beautiful bench in a lovely setting. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is a nice surprise. Not too evil I hope.
      Thanks for the visit, now you are here from Louisiana you'd better sit down and have a coffee.
      I'll 'pOp' over later . . . :)

      Delete
  13. You did a grand job there Ed, but what does the tree think of it, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the tree loves it . . . much better than having Ivy round me, it said . . :)

      Delete
  14. so good to hear from you and hope you are back in Blogland.


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.