Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Thursday 31 January 2013

Blood Gusher for one and PICC line to the rescue for the other

Now that's a weird post title, no doubt causing the appearance of goose pimples for the squeamish and the pricking the of ears for the inquisitive and the well wishers.

The title concerns myself on the one hand and my dear wife, Mrs Bluelights, on the other. I may not have time to deal with my harrowing experience this time on account of my covering my wife's plight, but rest assured I shall deal with it next time, so watch this space.

As many know Mrs Bluelights has the misfortune to have secondary breast cancer.  I outlined the history of this on my previous post, see HERE.  She has been undergoing chemotherapy and has completed 5 from a course of 6.  After the first four she bounced back very quickly after the unpleasant side effects of the chemo and remarkably she was able to continue working at a local residential care home for three nights a week, with the exception of the actual weeks she underwent chemo.  Everyone, including the Oncology Consultants, were amazed at her ability and strength to do this, but let me tell you this gal is a real tough cookie and so strong and resilient, and it is really her way of dealing with the problem and to carry on as long as she can as normally as possible.

However, after chemo 5 things were very different this time - she never bounced back; in fact she got worse.  Her temperature kept spiking  at over 103 degrees F and she had two falls.  It was really worrying and we knew she must have an infection somewhere.  We rang for medical assistance and were advised to take her in to Accident and Emergency at our local, large hospital.  They confirmed she was in need of medical attention and she was transferred to Medical Assessment where she was diagnosed as having some form of infection she was unable to deal with herself because the chemo had severely compromised her immune system.  Her white blood cell count was very low, as was her red blood cells and therefore she was prescribed intravenous antibiotics plus a transfusion of 2 units of blood.  She was transferred to a ward where she was barrier nursed for a week.  I visited her every day, putting on a sexy yellow overall with complimentary bright blue rubber gloves.  At first was quite heartened by her gradual improvement.

The big problem was that because she has lymphoedema in one arm she could not have a cannula fitted there . . . . . and her other arm has had so many cannulas fitted, plus blood samples taken, plus chemotherapy injected, plus dyes injected for CT scans and a host of other things, that it was no longer possible to find another viein suitable for intravenous or IV treatment with liquid antibiotics. Honestly whenever a needle gets within a foot of her her veins run for cover and vanish, unlike me where they are very prominent.  The hospital medics did manage to fit one cannula as soon as she was admitted and this sufficed for the two transfusions and for a couple of IV treatments.  However the vein broke down and the cannula was ineffective after a few IV treatments, so her treatment stopped dead for 36 hours. Several senior nurses, a team of three doctors and an anesthetist all tried in vain to access a vein (forgive the pun) but all they managed to achieve was to cause a great deal of pain and to damage her veins even more - poor girl.  I wondered why no-one had progressed another avenue of fitting a PICC line which could be used for all purposes, except for CT scans.  Instead they eventually administered antibiotics in solid and oral form but still her temperature kept spiking and they were highly confused as to what exactly was causing the problem. In general her temperature appeared to be much lower by day but always spiked in the evening.  This situation remained until the end of the week when reluctantly they agreed to discharge her on the proviso that we would get her back to hospital if things got worse.

Well things did get worse - her temperature crept back to 102 F but early next morning (Saturday) we received a phone call from the hospital saying they had identified the culprit.  It was a nasty and very persistent UTI  (Urinary Tract Infection) which was resistant to all known antibiotics other than just one IV variety, and the solid antibiotics she had been taking were totally ineffective against it.  Fortunately she could return as a day patient for new IV treatment to Ambulatory Care. We had been very disappointed that her temperature was again high and it appeared we were back to square one so it came as a relief that for the first time light may be at the end of the tunnel.  We arrived and mercifully, after three goes, a lovely Nurse Practitioner managed to get a cannula inserted and began the treatment, returning the next day for the second. The bug is so vehement that it required 14 courses of antibiotics to knock it out and we all knew the cannula would not last that long, so it was decided to fit a PICC line after all and this was done today.


For those interested, a PICC line is a peripherally inserted central catheter and is fitted under a local anesthetic under ultrasound to enable access to deeper veins, entering near the inside of the elbow joint.  A PICC is inserted in a peripheral vein, such as the cephalic veinbasilic vein, or brachial vein and then advanced through increasingly larger veins, toward the heart until the tip rests in the distal superior vena cava orcavoatrial junction.  A cannula is attached to the lower end and easy access to it is available for all medical requirements, including blood for testing and intravenous injections.  The line can stay there for up to a year if required.  Mrs Bluelights had this fitted successfully and it was a Godsend because it was possible to have all further IV treatments at home by visiting District Nurses.  As I write we have one more IV tomorrow and then the treatment is completed.  The good news is that she feels very much better and the temperature problem is under control, being consistently normal.

We did have a slight disappointment in that because she was still having antibiotics and it was over two weeks delay from her scheduled 6th chemo treatment, the oncologist decided to cancel the last chemo because to have it so late would be completely ineffective.  So another CT scan has been arranged to see how and if the five chemo therapies have managed to deal with her cancer problem.


On the previous night before our appointment with the oncologist I had the shock of my life whilst taking a shower.  I must have nicked a vein and there was blood everywhere.  I'll explain exactly what happened next time, how it occurred  how I dealt with it alone, how I called emergency services, how I stayed up until 4.30 in the morning making sure I did not spring a leak again.  Suffice to say I am still here, alive and kicking and am pleased to say I even managed to save the carpet.  Watch this space!

But back to Mrs Bluelights, I am so grateful to all my bloggy pals who are praying with me for total and permanent remission for the cancer which is threatening her liver now.

28 comments:

  1. Praising our Lord that she has a successful PIC line going. Bless her heart. I know that she must have felt awful. UTIs are the worst...and with infection taking over her tired body, she must have been in incredible discomfort. Please, tell dear Maria that Jackie sends her the biggest hug ever. I don't know if she reads your blog or not, but if she doesn't, would you please give her a special hug and tell her it is from Jackie. I continue praying for her. She is a fighter...and that's what it takes to beat this dreadful disease...a fight! Continue the fight, Maria...with all that you have. Thanking our Lord for you, Eddie...and all that you do to help Maria through this very difficult time. I praise His name for you and for your love for Maria.
    Take care of you...No more nicks or cuts on you; we can't have two patients at once having to seek medical assistance.
    Prayers for Maria's next CT scan...I pray that the chemo has done exactly what the doctors expected it to...even at 5 doses. The Lord has taken care of her thus far...and He will continue to do that.
    Hugs and love to you both,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie - I will certainly pass on your kind words, although Maria actually never reads my blog posts. However she knows and appreciates the loyalty, support and prayers of our highly valued friends. Smiles and hugs ~ Eddie

      Delete
  2. sending you prayers with Aloha
    from Honolulu,
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cloudia, much appreciated. Gosh wish I was in Honolulu right now sharing your glorious weather. Hug ~ Eddie

      Delete
  3. As I haven't had word from you all week.......... I'm glad to hear that Maria is doing well and lets just hope that the 5 chemos were enough to stem things for a long time.
    Looking forward to your description of the *blood gush* next time!
    Hugs all round.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I have been incognito all week, Maggie. Will ring over the weekend and I must comment on your latest post . . . . . sorry!!
      Yes I will provide all the gory details of the blood gush next week LOL

      Delete
  4. Prayers continue for sure...I feel her pain on the vein problems...my run and hide too. Tell her from now on, insist on a pick line!!!!! I do!! It is ridiculous how they dig and dig knowing it is all fruitless!!
    Oh how I know this frustration and pain. Been brought to tears many a time!!! Sheesh!!
    Gentle Hugs to her and you
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SueAnn ~ thanks for you kind comments and I would dearly love to visit and follow your new blog but I have not fathomed how to do it yet without the enigma machine to crack the entry code. Can you please tell me how I can do it - I am only a man!! ROFL

      Delete
  5. Oh Eddie, my very best positive thoughts to you and to Mrs Bluelights... my son had a similar 'pin cushion' problem as a child with asthma and not being to able get the needed medication in is too traumatic for words - glad to hear the PICC is up and running xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray for your kind thoughts. Yes the PICC line makes things a lot easier. Hugs ~ Eddie

      Delete
  6. Oh my, Eddie. Bless you and your dear wife. And please take care of yourself as well as you can so you can keep on caring for her. Praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen for your kind words and prayers - we pray for full and permanent remission. x

      Delete
  7. Dear Eddie, what a terrible time you are having. Such a lot to deal with. I'm wishing with all my heart for your wife to get through her chemo and to soon be on the road to recovery. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayak ~ I am so pleased and honoured at your visit. Thank you for your support and kind words, much appreciated. x

      Delete
  8. Thanking God for that PICC line and that you and Mrs. Bluelights are feeling much better. As always, ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers. May God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marguerite - you are so kind with your generous thoughts and prayers.

      I'll tell you the rest of the story next week about my situation - a Company Man on an oil rig might describe my leg that night as a 'real gusher' - thank God I managed to 'cap' it LOL

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry things have been so difficult for the two of you. I shall keep you both in my very best thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary - your's and all my bloggy pals' support means such a lot to me. Hugs ~ Eddie

      Delete
  10. GOODNESS! Just when you've managed to get Mrs. Bluelights out of the frying pan, YOU land in the fire!! So glad that you both are doing well right now...I think of you and your wife often, sending thoughts of good health for Mrs. B, but I can see that I will have to send good thoughts for TWO!
    And I certainly learned a lot about PICC lines, not surprising knowing your background as an ambulance man =-)
    Sending wishes for a future of no mishaps to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica - we will try to keep out of harms way. A good excuse for a lie in LOL.

      Delete
  11. Hello Eddie, I'm so sorry to hear your wife is having such a difficult time. Cancer is such a deadly disease. Bless you both!
    I am sending healing thoughts your way. Between the both of you, wow, alot on your plate. Be careful! Thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry, Eddie! What a long slog you both have been through! Sending prayers up and best wishes over to you and your wife! I hope you get some encouraging news very soon. And I'm waiting in anticipation as to what in the world you were doing bleeding in the shower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy - Mrs Bluelights is quite a lot better I am pleased to say, but not yet fully restored to her former glory. I am, I am pleased to say, ROFL, nay, just joking, but I will certainly expound all the gory details soon.

      Delete
  13. Eddie, I'm terribly sad to hear of the health news, but heartened to read - in your comments - that things seem to be getting a bit better. I'll say a prayer for the two of you as soon as this posts. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim - you are a true friend. We continue to get better but continue to worry because the options concerning the cancer are reducing quickly, sigh!

      Delete
  14. Dear Eddie, I yiyi, you've had your hands full!

    I am terribly sorry to hear of Mrs. Bluelight's infection, high temps and hospital stay. She's been though so much and been such a trooper that it's hardly fair that treatment #5 would give her such a hard time. I'm holding her and you in my prayers and await to hear the test results-- which I hope will be positive and exactly what you're hoping for and working towards.

    And you, Eddie-- no more leaks, okay?

    Big hugs to you both. xoxox jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern, Joanna - she is getting a little stronger now day by day. X

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.