Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Saturday 30 October 2010

The Sunday Roast

Let's Open The Door To Amelia's Creative World Of Art

This week I am delighted to introduce an artist, maker, workshop leader, and creator of the 'experimental art e-course' and 'gift grants'.

 . . . . . and here is a more familiar photo used when she comments - many will recognise it.

 

Amelia also has a very impressive and comprehensive website, Amelia Critchlow, outlining her artwork, gallery, workshops she runs, experimental art e-course . . . and much, much more.  It's well worth a long visit here to see what makes this clever and talented lady tick . . . . and of course we have her blog, the main focus of attention for this Sunday Roast.

This week's interview is with, you've guessed it, Amelia Critchlow
who writes the blog, 101 Bird Tales

Thank you for the interview, Amelia, and the very interesting insight into what you do.
 

A very warm welcome to you and your followers
 


Here's the first of the standard questions. Why do you blog?

Eddie, firstly thank you for having me on the Sunday Roast, very honoured to be invited!

(You are most welcome, Amelia, I'm sure all will agree, it's great to have you here)

I blog because as an artist, I had all my visual and creative things on-line on my art website, but I love writing too, and decided a blog was an excellent way to muse about my art; why I did it, and how I got to be doing it in my life and connect with others. At school and uni I could never separate my love of words and images, and now blogging has enabled me to combine the two and get back in touch with my love of writing and connecting with others.

(Great combination and very professionally done might I add)
 
What's the story behind your blog name?

Ah, now that’s an interesting one and believe me, a lot of thought went in to that name, but no-one’s asked me about it before. Whilst doing my art degree I spent a lot of time looking for famous female artists, but there weren’t as many as the ‘masters’. I looked at the way women were referred to and often portrayed in magazines etc and one thing I noticed was how many references there were to women as creatures – bird is a common one and so I wanted to make a play on ‘bird’ but at the same time I like what birds themselves symbolise: freedom and flight, and for me, by doing art I am taking that flight of freedom and at the same time sharing my tales about it ie.  ‘101 tales’! So there you go, it’s out there now.


(I bet a lot of your readers will be fascinated by this, Amelia)

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

The best thing about blogging has simply got to be the community and kindred spirits out there. As a result of the kindness, sharing, support and compassion I have been able to run my on-line experimental art e-course. It all started with the generosity of Susannah Conway who afforded me the time to speak about getting my on-line course up and running and since then I have met a whole community of creative supportive and lovely people. I wouldn’t have been here and met you if it wasn’t for the lovely on-line community. I have also made some firm real time friends and met up with bloggers from across the pond, and it’s been brilliant!


(BlogLand is indeed a great community with some wonderful people.  I have made some great friends here too) 

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

The best advice I would give would be: commit, comment, share, make friends, reach out. But for more detailed info on this one, I’ve recently done a post entitled top tips I’ve learnt about blogging in the last year.

(I MUST read that one . . . will do so soon . . . . so put the kettle on . . . coffee, milk but no sugar)

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?
Why Is it Still OK To Judge Children With Challenging Behaviour? by a good friend of mine both in the blog world and in real time. She recently won the MADS most inspiring blog award. She shares some amazing insights into what it’s like to live with . . . . well, I’ll let you read and see.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?


Probably this one,


(I can guarantee - Everyone will take a looksee at that . . . LOL)

Which two blogs would you recommend for roasting?

I would recommend Concetta over at Glittering Shards and
Louise over at Louise Gale

That concludes the formal aspect of the interview but it would be nice to get to know you a little better while you are slowly turning on the roasting spit.  So while you are screaming in agony above the open fire here are a few more questions for you.

Pick three things you can't live without.

Love, my family, and making art.

If we were to make a movie about BlogLand, what would it be and who would you cast in the leading roles?

It would have to be a piece of experimental art film, where the plot unfolds in the most unexpected ways, there are no heroes or heroines, no-one knows what’s going to happen next and it goes on a little like ongoing improvisation. It reminds me of this piece of art work I went to see at the White Cube Art Gallery in Masons Yard, Green Park, London recently. Artist, Christian Marclay has made a 24 hours loop film run of spliced together bits from a tonne of different films, with each take referring to time either by discussion or actual clock. There are huge sofa’s to sit on in the dark and whatever time you go and see the film it’s the same time in real life as it is on the bit of film you are watching! As you can see I was very excited by this and found it different and interesting and this is how I view blogland I guess too. There’s a bit of Alfred Hitchcock in there too!

(True improvisation . . . . sounds good!  But no part for me. then LOL)

If you could live your life again who would you be, and why?
 
The strange, but maybe good thing is, that I would be exactly who I am today. Either that or a famous female artist, but I think being myself is good. I have learnt, and am still learning so much, and as tough as it can be at times, boring it never is!

(Good choice - do you know I have been doing these roasts for over a year and everyone is content to be themselves - really good.  But some want to have their current knowledge and experience plus a younger version of themselves, especially me LOL)

You have been given a wonderful talent from above.  This causes you to make your mark on humanity and be world famous. In which area would prefer: a best selling novelist, a brilliant artist, a gifted musician, a fantastic singer, a charismatic leader, anything you choose, and why? 

There is no doubt which one – a brilliant artist of course! Art makes the world go round because as it’s about creativity which is the basis of all things (in my view). We are creative from the moment we get up each day and choose what to do and how to do it. Therefore art and creativity are the foundation for living a life one would like or wish for. I’m still working on this concept (and having fun) like an ongoing piece of art-work . . . .

(I think you already are a brilliant artist, Amelia)

If you were an ice cream cone, which flavour would you prefer and who would you most want to lick you?

If I was an ice-cream I would be a total mix of many different flavours and one wouldn’t know what they’d get next. The funny thing is I’m sure my partner would vouch for this and incidentally he would be the only person that would be tasting any of the flavours in the manner in which you refer!!!!!

(Very well put, Amelia, the impertinence of Bluelights asking a question like that, indeed LOL)

Describe in one sentence your perfect day
 
My perfect day would involve sunshine and warmth, lots of people, amazing natural surroundings, and making collaborative art-work that involves making the world a better place . . . .

(I can tell you are really happy in what you do, Amelia - truly refreshing)

If you were a fiction writer which one would you be and why?

If I was a fiction writer I would probably be Toni Morrison, who writes with poetic poignancy about difficult subjects. She has an ability to weave an impacting and visually enhanced experience through words.

Your turn to ask me a question if you wish.

My question to you: What is one of the best things you have done in your life?

OK - but there are several . . so here they are:
1.   Accepting Jesus into my life.
2.   Marrying my darling wife who sadly now has secondary breast cancer.
3.   Bringing my daughter and son into the world . . . and helping them through it.
4.   Joining the ambulance service.

There are lots of others beyond the remit of this question.


Thank you Amelia for your very interesting interview and my best wishes for your art projects. We'll conclude by having a look at you blog screen.
______________________________________________



Today's Sunday Roast with Amelia at 101 Bird Tales the 139th
in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.
_____________________________________________________

This interview will feature in The Roll of Honour
for all published Roasts. To view press  HERE
________________________________________________ 

I am introducing a variation of The Sunday Roast, called The Sunday Re-Roast, where I will invite previous roastees to return to the spit so they can update their original answers and to answer my new questions.  I have had some encouraging positive feedback and I will mix these with new Roasts to give some variety. My sister, Maggie May, will be one of the first and my good friend Suldog will be there sometime soon. Of course I will continue with new roasts as well - so please keep recommendations coming.

For those new-comers who do not know anything about the Sunday Roast and would like a little information please press HERE

12 comments:

  1. That was a very good roast and I hadn't met Amelia before so I will pop over at the first opportunity.
    At first I was thinking that it was a feathered bird blog...... but I see I was very much mistaken.
    Enjoyed Amelia's answers.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting roast! I'm glad to meet Amelia! I love birds, too...what a fun title! Her art is beautiful! Thanks, to both of you.

    And Eddie...best wishes to your wife and her battle with cancer. May she win! And love and hugs to both you and her. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, my dear sir, you KNEW you'd hook me with this roast!!! I'm delighted to meet Amelia!!! I can't wait to have a look at her blog and her art!!! I'm sure she is phenomenal...her roast was done to perfection ;-))

    And as always, you are the most witty host!! You are such a natural, Eddie!! Always a pleasure to dine here!! My compliments to the chef :-)) Hugs, Janine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for another terrific Roast by a blogger I didn't not now before. I'll stop by her blog and look around.

    And.... I posted about you today :-)

    http://www.thefiftyfactor.com/2010/10/sundays-in-my-city-52-before-and-after.html

    Hope all's well with you. jj

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad Amelia has been roasted. I love her blog which I find very inspirational and she was an obvious choice for me to put forward as a potential roastee (is that right?!) as I wanted to get to know more about her.

    Great interview Amelia and Eddie of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Eddie, and Amelia! So much enjoyed the peek inside a creative mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I've just discovered your blog of roasts due to Amelia posting a link to her interview - what a wonderful site you have! I've got to peek at the other interviews you've done now and from what I can see, I've got lots of great reading in my future!!


    You ask some really wonderful questions Mr. Bluelight! I've only recently discovered Amelia in the past week so this interview was a nice way to learn more about her.

    Thank you for being such a wonderful "matchmaker" in Blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creative Beast ~ Why thank you, you creative beast, you LOL!
    I somehow think you are far from being a beast LOL
    I thankl you for your wonderful comment and I must say it is responses like this that gives me a huge pay back for my efforts to get these interviews on the road. I really love this work and meeting such nice people like you. Au Revoir ~ Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Eddie,

    delighted to be here and thanks again for the honour of sunday roast! ;)

    Nice to have my question answered too and I too wish you and your wife lots of positive thoughts in your battle against the odds. Hope all goes from strength to strength. you are doing a fab job of roasting from what I can see :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Eddie for roasting the beautiful Amelia... I think she is a bit of a star :)

    on another note Eddie...best wishes to you and your family for an end to your wife's suffering.
    I hope good health finds her soon.

    x Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great roast, Sir Eddie! Loved Amelia's interview and answers and can't wait to check out her art! Thanks to both of you, for a job well done! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amelia is so talented and articulate and so darn pretty. Oh yeah, and young too. Ha. Great fun reading Amelia's answers. One of the best things about reading the Sunday Roast each week is the individual personalities that come to the forefront in a roast scenario. Nice to get to know bloggers this way. My hubby and I send hugs to you, Eddie, and please extend our love to your courageous wife.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.