Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Thursday 14 August 2014

FRIENDLY RIVALRY




I am writing these ambulance stories as they occur to me.

I worked for a private ambulance company called Wings, based in Bristol.  We had a great bunch of people working there.  Some were fairly quiet, some a little more extrovert and some were an absolute riot.  I suppose I fitted somewhere in the middle, but this chap took the biscuit:


Mad Mike - he was fabulous fun, as you may imagine and we had such a great times with him, yet he could be serious as well.  The unifying factor was patient care and dedication to the job and we all had that.  But Mike was so lively he was enough to brighten any dreary day - and he always did.

Here is another photo of him, full of fun:


I took the photo of the the three of them for the company magazine.  I always took the photographs.  On this occasion the three of them were just back from an intensive 5-day ambulance driving course in Cornwall and passed their Drive 2 exam, which meant they were now qualified to drive ambulances for emergency calls, using blue flashing lights and sirens.  Well done you three.

They were great friends, Phil, about 26 and an ex-paratrooper from an elite army regiment, Charlie, a lovely girl and, Mike, about 40's.

I was about 20 years older than Mike but very fit in my ambulance days and could keep up with any of them:

Here is one of me with Charlie:


We were all good friends at Wings and I suppose there must have been over 30 ambulance staff, comprising both sexes - one big happy family.  We were all so sad when it disbanded.

One day we were lifting some heavy gear and Phil and Mike were quite surprised to see me managing so well and remarked that they were a bit surprised I could do it so easily.

I laughed and said, "They don't make 'em like they used to", and challenged them right there and then to an arm wrestling contest.  The just laughed and said, "You must be joking - you stand no chance - ok show us!"

Off we went and found a desk and I said to Mike, "You first!"
He said, "Are you sure? you stand no chance - I'll pulverise you!" , because he was about 20 tears younger, you see.

I said, "We'll see!"

Anyway we started left hand first and I saw him wince after a minute and start really straining and then over went his arm. Same using the right arm - he stood no chance and they both were flabbergasted and we all started laughing.

Then it was Phil's turn, remembering he was 26 and an ex paratrooper and I was 60.  I said, "Are you sure you want to go through with this?"  He was in hysterics and then we settled down to some serious arm wrestling.

Well I did not beat him with either arm . . .  but he did not beat me either . . . . it was stalemate!!  

They were both so stunned - bet I couldn't do it now!

Oh what fun we had.

I have often wondered what happened to these guys - I see some of the others from time to time and we always give one another a big hug when we meet.

It was all great fun and a privilege to serve in the Ambulance Service and boy, don't I miss it.





25 comments:

  1. Cute pictures...looks like so much fun. Great coworkers can really add a lot of life to a job, can't they? It's a shame you all didn't keep in contact. I bet if you searched the internet, you could find them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy - yes these were just a small fraction of the great guys and gals we had there,
      It might be possible to track them down on the internet or by hunting around ambulance companies, but some mat have left the industry..

      Delete
    2. Yes, first prize - will have to think of a pressie . . .

      Delete
  2. Thanks Pat . . . . . lol

    Thought I'd make it understood
    In arm wrestling I'd beat 'em good
    But could not quite beat the lad
    But the other one I easily had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiles. sounds like fun times indeed...
    and nice job working him to a stalemate
    on the arm wrestling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian - we had our moments of fun between the busy times . . . :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jane . . . . . . yes, but a big softy underneath and like my tummy tickled . . . lol . . . Eddie x

      Delete
  5. so cool, Eddie! I'm (whispers) 60 myself and today I performed feats of strength that are my post for tomorrow. Intrigued? I hope so! I always enjoy seeing you there or here. Thanks for the smiles


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Cloudia . . . . we mature with age like a very palatable wine . . . I am intrigued and will pop over later.
      Plenty more smiles where that came from . . . . . :) Eddie x

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you made some terrific memories with these folks. Memories to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes . . . I am most fortunate to work with these guys . . . . and patients . . . and nurses . . . :)

      Delete
  7. Love the friendship that I see in these photos! I know that you miss them...and I'm sure they miss you, too.
    Great arm strength, my friend. Proud of you....and I bet the guys were more than surprised that you either beat them or "tied" when you arm wrestled. Good on ya!
    Hugs and great big smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jackie, I do miss them all . . . . thanks and big hugs to you . . . Eddie :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Eddie - I'm sure that camaraderie just made all the difference and helped your patients too. Yeah - well your arm wrestling showed them .. You must miss them and those days .. but I suspect that joie de vivre is still with you and holds you and many others (as here) in good stead ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes . . . so true. . . :)
      Thanks Hilary . . . cheers ~ Eddie :)

      Delete
  9. Well, that is decided then Eddie, I am not going to suggest that we ever arm wrestle!! You would beat me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Work at something you love and you never have to work a day in your life. I don't know who said that but it is true when you love your job and the people you work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail
      Very true . . . . I loved the work and the people . . . .:)

      Delete
  11. You certainly have led a fulfilling life Eddie. I wanted to work with people in a supportive way, but I got sidetracked when I went into the army. I just seemed to be trained to kill people, not help them. When you leave the Army that cant untrain can they? The National Service ruined my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "they" not "that". Like you I make typos!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Keith . . . . yes in my later career in the ambulance service and on my present Dial-a-Ride duties I do have a fulfilling role, but it was not always like that. I held a number of managerial jobs and I hated my work then like a lot do. Shame about the National Service - I just missed that. Sorry it affected your life, Keith, . . . ;)

      Delete
    3. yes we all make typos . . . me more than most . . . lol

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.