Please leave a comment.


I love receiving and reading comments ~ please leave one.
If you are a regular I am pleased to see you again ~ make yourself at home. If you are new to my blog, welcome too, and please introduce yourself and I will reply very soon.

Saturday 5 July 2014

QUOTATIONS TO BRIGHTEN ANY WEEKEND -2-

Welcome to this second post in my weekly feature.
I hope you enjoy and you are able to join with these happy people in laughter


I am impressed with their white teeth

So straight onto the quotations:

Poul Anderson, writer of science fiction, expressing his confidence in powerful human thinking:
"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which,  when looked at in the right way, did not become even more complicated."

G. K. Chesterton, English master of paradox, noted the social revolution with the invention of the typewriter and resulting jobs for women:
"Twenty million young women rose to their feet with the cry, 'we shall not be dictated to', and promptly became stenographers."

American poet, Paul Ehrlich was quick to note on rapid advancement of technology:
"To err is human but to really foul things up requires a computer."

Film comedian W. C. Fields, bumbling and bad-tempered, came up with this inspiring thought:
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it."

Oscar Wilde, on how to secure a stable relationship:
"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance."

Benjamin Franklin, American revolutionary leader and writer, identified one of the drawbacks of self love:
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."

Film actress Lily Tomlin, on the human condition:
"We're all in this together - by ourselves."

A profoundly self-critical thought from film star Ava Gardner:
"Deep down, I'm pretty superficial."

Oscar Wilde believed that:
"There is one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that us not being talked about."

American art historian, Bernard Berenson:
"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago."

Eddie Bluelights, feeling bruised by irrational behaviour was once heard to say:
"Tell me, have you always had to work hard to make such cutting remarks, or does it come naturally?"    . . . lol

Firebrand Labour politician Aneurin Bevan had little patience for people sitting on the politician fence:
"We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road.  They get run over."

American comedienne Phyllis Diller had little time for compromise:
"Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight!"

Sir James Barrie, author of Peter Pan, on youth:
"I am not young enough to know everything!"

Oscar Wilde, on youth in the United States:
In America, the young are always ready to give those who are older than themselves the benefit of their inexperience."

Hollywood star John Barrymore didn't believe that virtue was its own reward.  In fact:-
"The good die young - because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good."

George Bernard Shaw, rather sceptical:
"Youth is a wonderful thing: what a crime to waste it on children.

Oscar Wilde, again:
"He is old enough to know worse."

American essayist, Logan Pearall Smith:
"There is more felicity on the far side of baldness than young men can possibly imagine."

William Feather, American author:
"Setting a good example for the children takes all the fun out of middle age!"




Oh! if you want a few more laughs . . . 


please visit my friend Eva at Wrestling With Retirement for her weekly slot

Weekend Silliness



More from both of us next week
Enjoy the remainder of the weekend.





34 comments:

  1. I have to say, I like the last one best! But your own comes in a close second. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, have to avoid the middle of the road
    Or you could become flatter than a toad
    Screw the good example too
    More fun to be crazy and flush that down the loo
    I don't want to be a damned fool
    So I'll only try 100 times before I lose my cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have been taking notes
      Of all these items in my quotes
      . . . lol

      Delete
    2. I've been taking notes of your quotes in my little black book,Eddie. I might use them as evidence when they come for you !

      Delete
    3. Ah! . . . help!! . . . .the men in white coats are coming for me!!!!
      Well Keith you had better keep scribbling because there are loads more to come . . . lol

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Eva,
      I've fixed a link to your latest . . . . :)

      Delete
  4. That Chesterton quote about women becoming stenographers nearly made me swallow my gum. Thanks for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dub you Master of Quotes for the week!

    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanls Cloudia - glad I included that one . . . lol

      Delete
  6. Got a good laugh out of these, and it was interesting to note that Ava Gardner was not just another pretty face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eddie, 11 o'clock, time for a Sunday morning visit. When I was a small child, my beloved grandfather usually took me for a walk at that time of the day. And it usually ended either in the communal museum or in a tea-room, providing me either with random learning about this-and-that or with hot chocolate and cake. To this day I still like both versions (of course nowadays without my dear grandfather, who has been dead for a long time now).
    But, Eddie, today it was nice to learn something about your life and what you do for your community and how lucky all these lovely old ladies (mind you, I am not that far from them, I guess) can call themselves, to have had this day out in such nice and caring company of such a witty gentleman!
    This brings me to your present choice of quotations. Not one failed to make me chuckle before my computer! So Rosie, one of my cats, came to see, what was going on in my study...I must say, all of the quotations, you choose, are hilarious, but quite a few also hold rather intelligent thoughts. And I quite like to brood over good arguments now and then. So I am looking forward, Eddie, to your next finds!
    Over here the weather is fine today, so it will be perfect for serving my husband a light lunch in the garden in a few minutes.I do hope you will have a pleasant Sunday, too, dear Eddie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christel,
      Thank you so much for not only commenting but having a really nice long chat.

      Your are too kind - I am more than happy to do the bus outings, and I hear they may want me to drive them once every two months, which will be nice.

      Glad you liked the quotations - many more where that came from . . . . . lol
      Glad weather is OK there - also here for a special day, my grandson's Christeneing. Lovely time by all ~ Eddie.

      Delete
  8. Hilarious quotes, Eddie! And each one got a little funnier as I sipped on my Sunday morning Bloody Mary! lol I especially liked the Paul Ehrlich quote! lol Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marguerite - lol - glad you liked the quotes!
      OK it looks as though it is a date, you and me, once a week.
      There are plenty more where those came from and I shall post more gems every week.
      I expect they might be even funnier after a few Bloody Marys . . . . lol
      The Paul Ehrlich quote is a very famous one - I knew it before I read my wonderful book. ~ cheers, Eddie :)

      Delete
  9. A brilliant rundown of some funny quotations! They all gave me a good chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle - will have loads more every weekend fot you :)

      I like execising peoples chuckle muscle :)

      Delete
  10. I love the one of your own you stuck in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha - I love quotes, in fact I collect them. You have some real winners here, thanks for sharing them. By the way I have the Lewis Carroll quote, "I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast" on the wall above my kitchen sink. I ponder it each time I do dishes. :o) Oh, and thanks for that awful Mozart joke - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary
      I have emailed you with my thanks for the quote.
      You are most welcome regarding the awful Mozart joke.
      There are more in the email ~ Eddie

      Delete
  12. Fantastic, Eddie. You gave me a good laugh.
    Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna - I will try to make you laugh every week :)

      Delete
  13. I'm definitely old enougt to know worse- and I recommend it to everyone! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jinksy - You've just given me an idea - I will add a readers' quote contribution - should be great fun :)

      Delete
  14. They do have very white beautiful teeth, was it a picture of toothpaste ad? Or United Colors of Bennetton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think they were just brushing up on their quotes . . . .lol

      Delete
  15. Your sense of humor is showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it? - Yes I can never suppress it for long - just wait until next weel . . . lol
      Thanks for coming, Christine :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome to my humble abode.